My Vanilla Bean Frappuccino is a kid-friendly take on the classic Starbucks Vanilla Frappuccino, but with a twist: you don't need ice cream to whip up this creamy summer drink! Super easy to make, this vanilla frappe will fill your mornings with pure joy.
What is a Frappuccino?
Frappuccino is a popular drink sold by Starbucks, that can have a coffee or crème base. This base is blended with ice and other ingredients like flavored syrups or powders, and usually topped with whipped cream.
In the case of their Vanilla Creme Frappuccino, Starbucks uses an unique vanilla powder that, when combined with milk, creates a thick base.
Why you should try this recipe
If you're looking for a vanilla frappe that:
- Has no ice-cream, but it's deliciously creamy;
- Is caffeine-free;
- You can choose your favorite sweetener;
This recipe is for you! Make sure to read all my tips, and go through all the ingredients and directions before starting.
Ingredients and substitutions
This recipe has 5 ingredients:
Vanilla Extract. Use a good-quality vanilla extract for a richer vanilla taste. You can substitute for vanilla paste.
Milk. I prefer using whole milk: it makes this frappe creamier.
Ice Cubes. It’s what gives texture and thickness.
My #1 secret for a better crème frappe: use milk ice cubes. It's simple to make: just clean an ice tray, fill it with milk, and store in the freezer until ready. It takes 2 to 3 hours to freeze completely.
Yogurt. Use Greek yogurt. You can choose between fat-free or full-fat yogurt. A fat-free Greek yogurt will make this drink less creamy.
My #2 secret for a better crème frappe: freeze the Greek yogurt for an hour before making the recipe. Making it will give you a thicker beverage without the need for additional ingredients (like xanthan gum).
Substituting Greek for plain yogurt will make a thinner, less creamy Frappuccino.
Sugar. You can choose to go with sugar, or substitute for your favorite sweetener.
Whipped Cream (Optional). It's up to you use it or not to top this drink. You can buy it, or use homemade.
How to make it
Gather the ingredients just before blending: they need to be extra cold for the best result.
In a blender’s cup, add yogurt, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and ice, and blend for about 30 seconds.
If using whipped cream, top the Frappuccino with it before serving.
Storing in the fridge after making will affect the texture and thickness. So, it's better to enjoy it right away after making it to get the best texture.
Questions you might be asking
This Vanilla Bean Frappuccino is a kid-friendly drink and has no coffee or any caffeine.
Yes, this recipe has no gluten in it if you're using the ingredients listed.
Tips for getting the best Crème Frappe
- Use milk ice cubes! It makes a less watery Frappuccino.
- Don't wait to serve it, or the ice will start to melt and the drink will lose its thickness.
- This recipe works better if you have a powerful blender that can crush ice.
- Avoid vanilla flavoring: use vanilla extract or vanilla paste for this recipe.
Vanilla Bean Frappuccino
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup ice
- whipped cream optional
- Add Greek yogurt, whole milk, sugar, vanilla extract and ice to the pitcher or bullet of a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour in a tall glass. If using whipped cream, top drink with it.
- Serve it right away.
- Use whole milk and full-fat Greek yogurt;
- Use milk ice cubes (freeze milk using ice trays - it freezes completely after 2-3 hours).
- Freeze Greek yogurt for 1h before making the recipe.
- Use vanilla extract or paste;
- Use vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt (if using it, as it usually comes with a good amount of sugar, don't add the sugar asked in the recipe or you'll get a very sweet frappe).